Elevators have many types for passengers and freight.
Main article: Passenger Elevator
A passenger elevator is designed to move people between a building's floors.
Variations of passenger elevators:
- Bed elevators, used to carry beds or stretchers in addition to passengers.
- Service elevators, normally used by building staffs instead of other people.
- Observation elevators, allows passengers to take a view as they travel.
- Residential elevator, used in home and may have unique design characteristics suited for home furnishings.
Main article: Freight Elevator
A freight elevator, or goods lift, is an elevator designed to carry goods, rather than passengers.
Variations of freight elevators:
- Dumbwaiters, used to carry smaller goods.
- Vehicle elevators, used within buildings or areas with limited space, typically to move cars into the parking garage or manufacturer's storage.
Main article: Double Deck Elevator
Double-deck elevators save time and space in high-occupancy buildings by mounting one car upon another. One car stops at even floors and the other stops at the odd floors. Depending on their destination, passengers can mount one car in the lobby or take an escalator to a landing for the alternate car.
Wheelchair or platform lift
Main article: Wheelchair lift
Concept: Destination dispatch • Elevator algorithm • Elevator control system • Elevator machine room • Elevator maintenance • Elevator major alterations • Elevator modernization • Machine room less elevator
Elevator systems, controllers and equipments: Elevator fixtures • Elevator keys • Elevator special modes • Elevator doors • Door cam • Door interlocks (Interlock wiring communication system) • Door restrictor • Elevator Inspection Certificate • Emergency stop button • Floor designators • Gate switch • Old Deadman controls • Overspeed governor • Motor-generator set & Silicon-controlled rectifier (for DC-powered elevators) • Insulated-gate bipolar transistor (for AC-VVVF-powered elevators) • Regenerative converter (for AC-VVVF-powered elevators)
See also: List of elevator fixtures guide • List of elevator and escalator companies • Elevator door sill guide (Generic elevator component door sill guide) • Floor numbering (Unlucky floor numbers) • Elevator incidents and accidents