1891 (Hamborn, Duisburg, Germany)
thyssenkrupp AG (merged with Krupp AG)
1891 - 1999
Thyssen AG was a German steel manufacturer that also manufactures elevators and escalators. The company merged with Krupp in 1999 to form thyssenkrupp.
Thyssen was founded on September 29, 1891 by August Thyssen and his brother Joseph in Duisburg, Germany. In 1973, Thyssen acquired Rheinstahl, a German manufacturing company. Later in 1976, Rheinstahl AG was renamed to Thyssen Industrie AG and Thyssen Aufzüge (elevator division). They also took over MAN's elevator division in the 1980s, and later became Thyssen-MAN in 1984. Thyssen joined with several elevator companies such as Otis, Schindler, Kone, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Johns & Waygood (later Johns Perry Lifts and then Boral Elevators) and Toshiba.
In 1995, Thyssen announced that Krupp will be merged, and both companies merged in 1999. The merger between both companies were completed in 2001 and thus the name become ThyssenKrupp. At the same year, Thyssen renamed their US elevator and escalator division Dover Elevators from Thyssen Dover to the new ThyssenKrupp name.
- 19?? - Furse (United Kingdom)
- 1973 - Rheinstahl AG (West Germany)
- 1984 - MAN - elevator division (Germany)
- 1986 - Northern Elevator Holdings Ltd. (Canada)
- 1987 - De Reus (Netherlands)
- 1993 - U.S. Elevator Corp. (United States)
- 1998 - Tri-County Elevator Co. (United States)
- 1999 - Dover Corp. (United States)
- 1999 - Hammond & Champness Dover (H+C Dover) (United Kingdom)
- Main article: List of notable Thyssen elevator installations
In the 1970s-1980s, few Thyssen escalators in both Hong Kong and England were distributed by Marryat & Scott. Thyssen escalators and moving walks were also distributed in Australia by Boral Elevators in the 1980s-1990s. They are usually branded as Thyssen-Boral.
In Hong Kong, Thyssen elevators were distributed by Bongear Engineering during the 1980s-1990s, until it was acquired by ThyssenKrupp Elevator (Hong Kong) in the 2000s. Some Thyssen escalators in Hong Kong were also distributed by General Electric Company (GEC) Hong Kong during that time.
In Indonesia, Thyssen elevators and escalators were distributed by PT. Marico Gria from 1984 until the time when Thyssen became ThyssenKrupp.
- When Thyssen acquires Dover in 1999, it was known as Thyssen Dover in the United States, but their products were branded as Dover until 2001, when it was simply known as ThyssenKrupp.
- Even after the merger, the Thyssen name was still used in elevators installed in some countries in the early 2000's, and some of them would often carries the ThyssenKrupp logo. In Hong Kong, the name was used until around 2004, while in United Kingdom, the name ended in 2003 when it changed name into ThyssenKrupp Elevators (UK) Ltd.
Note and references
- ↑ Rheinstahl acquired by Thyssen in 1976
- ↑ Furse Lift Company in Beno Lift Guide
- ↑ 대전광역시 서구 탄방동 한양산호아파트 한양공영(티센 제휴) 엘리베이터 2차 탑사
- ↑ 土瓜灣浩明雅苑蒂森克虜伯升降機
|Major elevator companies|
|Dover • Express Lift • Fujitec • Hitachi • Hyundai • Kone • Mitsubishi • Otis • Schindler • Sigma • Thyssen • thyssenkrupp • Toshiba|
|Full list: List of elevator and escalator companies|
|See also: Third-party elevator maintenance companies|