- "Sigma" redirects here. For the other meaning of Sigma, see Sigma (disambiguation).
- For the South Korea markets of the Sigma products, Please refer to LG-OTIS.
|Sigma Elevator Company|
2000 (Changwon, South Korea)
Otis Elevator Korea (OEK)
Sigma Elevator Company is a subsidiary of Otis Elevator Korea (OEK) in South Korea for all overseas/export markets. It was founded in 2000.
Sigma currently has businesses in more than 75 countries worldwide, and subsidiaries in five countries; Hong Kong (China), Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
In the United States, Sigma elevators were distributed by CemcoLift, which was a historic elevator company bought by Otis and based in Hatfield, PA. However, in 2012 CemcoLift has gone bankrupt and replaced by a new company called Minnesota Elevator Solutions.
It's headquarter, factory and testing tower are located in Changwon, South Korea, which are also operated by Otis Elevator Korea. It also has a secondary factory in Dalian, China, opened in 1998 to meet demands on Chinese elevator market.
In 2014, Sigma had a partnership with EXPRESS Elevator Co., Ltd., an elevator company based in Suzhou, China as well as a subsidiary of Otis. In 2016, Express/Sigma opened their headquarters in Suzhou, China.
- Main article: Sigma Iris
The Iris elevator is a standard compact machine room elevator for low to mid rise buildings. It is named after the ancient Greek mythological rainbow goddess "Iris". In 2012 or 2013, the model was upgraded into Iris NV (for the countries other than Russia) and Iris NR (for Russia).
Iris 3 is their current elevator model for high-rise buildings.
- Main article: Sigma Solon
SOLON is a machine room less elevator for low to mid-rise buildings with permanent magnet (PM) gearless motor. It consists of two series; Solon Standard and Solon Comfort. In 2012 or 2013, the model was upgraded into Solon NV.
- Main article: Sigma Muse (elevator)
Muse is Sigma's version of Otis's Gen2 machine room less elevator system. Unlike the SOLON, it uses flat polyurethane steel belt which is 20% lighter than conventional steel ropes. It also equipped with PULSE system, a device that monitors the status of the flat belts and alerts if a wear or tear occured on the belts. In 2012 or 2013, it was upgraded into Muse NV.
Di (Distributed Inverter)
- Main article: Sigma Di
Distributed Inverter (Di) was a geared traction elevator mainly for low to high-rise building. It was first introduced in 1998 and discontinued in favor of Iris NV and Iris 3.
A passenger elevator model for residential buildings and only sold in Russia.
- Main article: List of Notable Elevator Installations of Sigma Elevator
- Access Group (Sri Lanka)
- Al Majid Group (United Arab Emirates)
- Astanalift Ltd. (Kazakhstan)
- CGC Elevators (Saudi Arabia)
- Fortune International Co. Ltd. (Myanmar)
- Marafie Engineering Group Company (Kuwait)
- PT. Jaya Kencana (Indonesia, since 1983)
- Regional Traders Ltd. (Bangladesh)
- S lift (Russia)
- A Sigma elevator (Lift 5) in Blok M Square, Jakarta, Indonesia fell down from the 7th floor in the afternoon of March 17, 2017. The accident was caused by overloading; the elevator, which has a capacity of 24 persons or 1600 kilograms, was filled with 25 people (although some sources said that 35 people were entering the elevator). Witnesses said the elevator stopped on the 3rd and the 1st floor (because of safety brake got triggered) during freefall before hitting the bottom floor, injuring 25 people inside
- Another Sigma elevator fell down in Pattaya Center Hotel in Pattaya, Thailand on March 7, 2017, causing nine district officials injured..
- From 2016 to 2017, several new Sigma elevators in various Housing & Development Board (HDB) estates in Singapore were plagued by numerous breakdowns and problems.
- In Taiwan, Sigma elevators are branded as Tatung Otis.
- The name "Otis Elevator Korea" (OEK) is often used on some Sigma elevator components, such as nameplate to door covering stickers after installation.
- Some Sigma elevators in Asia also uses fixtures from Otis.
- Basically their elevators are Otis elevators made in South Korea but exported to overseas market under the name Sigma.
Nameplates and capacity badges
Notes and references
- ↑ Also be a subsidiary of Otis in Hong Kong since 2015.
- ↑ Hatfield Township Elevator Company Closing
- ↑ Brand History - EXPRESS
- ↑ Express-Sigma Elevator Inaugurates New Headquarters in Suzhou
- ↑ Solon Standard brochure
- ↑ Solon Comfort brochure
- ↑ RTE brochure (Russian)
- ↑ Begini Rangkaian Kejadian Lift Jatuh Di Blok M Square (Indonesian)
- ↑ Greater Jakarta: 25 injured in elevator incident in Blok M - The Jakarta Post
- ↑ Hotel lift fails Pattaya, falls 7 floors (Asiajack)
- ↑ Fresh problems for Sigma lifts, Housing News & Top Stories - The Straits Times
- Official website
- Official website (older version)
- PT. Jaya Kencana (sole agent/distributor of Sigma elevators in Indonesia)
|Subsidiary elevator companies|
|Chevalier • Express Evans • GiantKONE • Haushahn • Hosting • Liftmaterial • MacGregor • Mashiba • Shanghai Mitsubishi • Sigma • Xizi Otis|
|Full list: List of elevator and escalator companies|
|See also: Third-party elevator maintenance companies|