Pickerings Lifts is a British elevator manufacturer, based in Stockton-On-Tees in the North East of England. It is the largest independent elevator manufacturer in the country. Pickerings also has another branch located in Ireland, and also manufactures escalators.
Pickering Lifts was founded in 1854 by Jonathan Pickerings and at that time they manufactures pullley, chain hoists and hand-powered hoists. At that time the company was originally known to just Pickerings. In 1896, the company began to manufactured operatorless (automatic push buttons) elevators for low rise buildings. Pickerings founded the National Association of Lift Makers (NALM) in 1932, which was the predecessor of the Lift & Escalator Industry Association (LEIA). In possibly the 1950s, Pickerings invented the first machine room less elevator, the Pickerings Econolift. It also might have been the first elevator in the UK with no inner doors. Possibly in the mid-1970s, the Pickerings Econolift was discontinued. It is unusual in that it is one of the UK's major elevator companies that has managed to avoid being taken over by one of the "Big Four" (Otis, Schindler, Kone & ThyssenKrupp), and has remained independent for all of its history. In 2008, Pickerings started making their own escalators and in 2011 the company was renamed to Pickerings Lifts.
Notable elevator models
- Econolift (machine room less elevator)
- Euromatic (mini machine room? elevator)
Notable installations in United Kingdom
- Vauxhall Station (Platforms 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8), London
- Vernon Building, High Wycombe
- Travelodge, Milk Market, Newcastle
- Bargate Shopping Mall, Southampton
- Dartford Railway Station, Kent
- Brencon House, Maidstone
- Royal Star Shopping Centre, Maidstone
- Aston Railway Station (Platform 1), Birmingham
- Snow Hill Railway Station (Tram Platform), Birmingham
- New Victoria Theater, Woking
- Whole Foods Market, Kensington
- Castle Lane Shopping Mall, Stockton
- Holiday Inn Express, Glouchester
- Angle Centre Shopping Mall, Islington
- Cherry Orchard ApartHotel, Port Erin, Isle of Man
- They also distributes Spanish-made MP (Mac Puarsa) elevators in the United Kingdom and installs them under their brand name.
- Pickerings Lifts is also a distributor of Aritco platform and home lifts in England and Ireland.
- Official website (UK)
- Official website (Ireland)
- Pickerings Lifts – 160 years serving the Industry, elevation.co.uk
- Pickerings Lifts in Beno Lift Guide
| "This elevator only serves two floors." |
This article is a stub. You can help Elevatorpedia by expanding it.