|Orenstein & Koppel|
1876 (Berlin, Germany)
Benno Orenstein and Arthur Koppel
Railway vehicles, construction equipments, escalators
1876 - 1999
Orenstein & Koppel (normally abbreviated to O&K or later O&K Kone) was a major German engineering company which specialize railway vehicles, construction equipment, elevators, and escalators.
Orenstein & Koppel was founded on April 1, 1876 in Berlin by Benno Orenstein and Arthur Koppel. They started making escalators in the 1960s in West Berlin. In 1987, Kone bought the company and most of their escalators were branded as "O&K KONE". The remaining shares of O&K were bought by Kone in 1995. Few years later, all of O&K's other division were sold to several companies. The railway division was transferred to Bombardier and their construction equipment division was sold to New Holland Construction in 1999.
Notable Orenstein & Koppel escalator models
- OK-TRONIC 301
- TransVario (manufactured by both Kone and O&K)
Notable escalator and moving walk installations
This list also includes O&K KONE escalator installations.
- The Galleries Victoria, Sydney
- City Market Haymarket, Sydney
- MLC Centre, Sydney
- MetCentre, Sydney
- Cockle Bay Wharf, Sydney
- Macarthur Square, Sydney
- Berry Square, North Sydney
- Galleria DFS, Sydney
- Target, Bankstown Centro, Sydney
- Campbelltown Mall, Campbelltown
- Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore (1994)
- Melbourne Central Shopping Mall, Melbourne (1991)
- The Myer Centre, Adelaide
- Target - CentrePoint Rundle Mall, Adelaide
- Elizabeth Quay Bus Station (formerly Esplanade Busport), Perth (1991)
- Carrefour Market, Brest
- The Opera, Lyon
- Palais des congrès (Cannes' Movie Festival center), Cannes
- Gesundbrunnen Railway Station, Berlin
- Märkische Str. Station, Dortmund
- Sophienhof, Kiel
- One Ad HaLom Mall, Ashdod
- Ramat-Aviv Mall, Tel Aviv
- Kastra Mall & Art Gallery, Haifa
- Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam
- Sloterdijk Station, Amsterdam
- C&A, Damrak, Amsterdam
- Kelfkensbos Parking Deck, Nijmegen
- Citylink Underground Mall (1998)
- Raffles Hotel (1989)
- Lucky Chinatown
- Bukit Merah Central pedestrian footbridge
- Most of the Blue line Tunnelbana stations, including T-Centralen & Fridhemsplan, have escalators by O&K. (1975 or 1985)
- Escalator link between Flemingsberg Railway station & Södertörns Högskola/Huddinge Sjukhus. (ca 1987)
- Nordiska Kompaniet (one of many replacements made in the department store. It has been replaced by KONE since then.)
- Several shops in the city contains of one or another O&K glass escalator. They can be seen in Sergels torg shops, for instance.
- Pantip Plaza Pratunam, Bangkok (1984)
- Muangthai Phatra Complex, Bangkok
- Siripinyo Building, Bangkok
- Seacon Square, Bangkok (1994)
- Castle Mall Shopping Centre, Norwich (1993)
- Harrod's Knightsbridge, London (1998, Egyptian Escalators)
- Natural History Museum, London
- The Mall Wood Green, London
- Canary Wharf Underground Station, London
- Waterloo Underground Station, London
- Cutty Sark (for Maritime Greenwich) DLR Station, London
- Heathrow Airport Terminal 1, London
- Tesco, High Wycombe (elevators, modernized by Stannah Lifts)
- Tyne and Wear Metro (1980)
- intu Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear (1986)
- intu Eldon Square, Newcastle upon Tyne
- St. James Metro Station, Newcastle
- Eldon Garden Shopping Centre, Newcastle
- Grafton Shopping Centre, Cambridge
- County Mall Shopping Centre, Crawley
- Belfry Shopping Centre, Redhill
- Fleet Walk Shopping Centre, Torquay
- Triangle Building, Manchester
- Buckhead MARTA Station, Atlanta, GA
- Newport PATH Station, Jersey City, NJ
- Hilton Hotel, Portland, OR
- Sands Regency Convention Center, Reno, NV
- Circus Circus Midway, Reno, NV
- Imperial Palace parking garage, Las Vegas, NV
- Dillards at Women and Children Mall St. Matthews, Louisville, KY
- Macy's Greenwood Mall, Bowling Green, KY
- Dillards South Park Mall, Strongsville, OH
- Dillards at Chapel Hills Mall, Colorado Springs, CO
- Dillards at The Citadel, Colorado Springs, CO
- Macy's Eastridge Centre, San Jose, CA
- Dillards Women First Colony Mall, Sugar Land, TX
- Nassau Coliesum Uniondale, NY
- Nauticus, Norfolk, VA
- The Lighthouse, Glasgow, Scotland
- Boots - Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow, Scotland
- Glasgow Airport, Scotland
- BHS, Princes Street, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Fountain Centre, Belfast, Ireland
- Carlson Dept. Store, Mikkeli, Finland
- K-Citymarket, Savonlinna, Finland
- Mall Azzurro, Naples, Italy
- Robinson's Galleria Mall, Ortigas Center, Quezon City, Philippines
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (car park and bus terminal building), Malaysia (1998)
- MinMax Restaurant - PNB Darby, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- GoSkate Building, Surabaya, Indonesia (1979)
- Capital on the Quay, Wellington, New Zealand
- 57 Willis Street, Wellington, New Zealand
- Los Leones Metro Station, Providencia, Santiago de Chile
- Smolensky Passage Shopping Center, Moscow, Russia
- Orenstein & Koppel had a partnership with the UK-based Keighley Lifts to made few elevators in the United Kingdom. Their elevators were branded as "Keighley O&K". One of their installations was located in Tesco in High Wycombe. However, they have been modernized by Stannah Lifts.
- Most buildings in the 1980s to 1990s that have Orenstein & Koppel escalators also have Kone elevators logo as well.
- As "hkelev.com" stated, some of their escalators handrail are wider than other companies.
- In Australia, their escalators were distributed by Elevators Pty. Ltd. (EPL KONE) and some of their late 1980s escalators were often branded as "O&K EPL. KONE".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 O&K Kone escalators.
- ↑ Hydraulic elevator in the hotel was installed by Kone.
- ↑ Formerly and have been replaced with Schindler 9300 AE escalators
- ↑ Elevators installed by O&K under the Keighley Lifts brand.
- ↑ Currently in process of being replaced by Kone MonoSpace and Schindler Escalators.
- ↑ Formerly and have been replaced with Shanghai Mitsubishi escalators.
- ↑ The first escalator installed in Surabaya, Indonesia.
- ↑ List of lifts and escalators companies and its original maintenance companies (hkelev.com)