|Marryat & Scott Lifts Ltd.|
A modified Thyssen logo installed on the Thyssen escalator installed by Marryat & Scott.
Joseph Richmond, Howard Marryat, Murray Scott
Hounslow, Middlesex, England
Kone Marryat Scott
Marryat & Scott was a British elevator/lift manufacturer.
Marryat & Scott was founded by Joseph Richmond in 1891. At that time, he established a small hydraulic elevator company called Richmond Lifts. In the 1900s, Howard Marryat took over Richmond Lifts and began making traction elevators. In the 1920s, Murray Scott joined the company and Richmond Lifts was renamed to Marryat & Scott. Kone then took over the company in 1979 and their products were branded as Kone Marryat Scott until in the early 1980s. Their operating businesses in Hong Kong and Singapore were taken over by Kone, and they are now known as simply Kone.
In 1979, a company named "ALS" (Associated Lift Services) was established by former staffs of Marryat & Scott who do not want to work for Kone when Marryat & Scott was taken over.
Marryat & Scott had its head office and manufacturing plant in Wellington Works, Hounslow, Middlesex, England. It also had branches located in Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee) and Ireland (Dublin and Cork). Other branches within England were located in London (40 Hatton Garden), Birmingham, Bristol, Guernsey, Brighton, and Liverpool. Their operating business in Scotland was known as John Bennie Ltd.
Marryat & Scott also had many foreign distributors or third-party agents located in several countries. These includes India, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Africa, Canada, etc.
List of known overseas Marryat & Scott distributors:
- A & G Price Ltd. (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Alpin Elevators Co. Ltd. (Quebec, Canada)
- Anglo-Electromatic Elevators Ltd. (Ontario, Canada)
- Breyner & Wirth Ltd. (Mozambique)
- Burma Independance Co., Ltd. (Myanmar)
- Central Foundry Ltd. (Barbados)
- Colombo Commercial Co. Ltd. (Sri Lanka)
- Davie Boag & Co. Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Davidson-Arnott & Co. Ltd. (Trinidad)
- Electro-Mechanical Equipment Co. (Malta)
- Electro-Trading Co. (Iceland)
- Eletrex Co. (Egypt)
- Ellison's Electrical Engineers Ltd. (Southern Rhodesia)
- Evans, Barnes & Fitz (Pty.) Ltd. (South Africa)
- F & C. Osler Ltd. (India and Pakistan)
- Grey MacKenzie & Co. Ltd. (Busreh, Iraq)
- Isaac M. Sarfaty & Son Ltd. (Israel)
- John Fleming & Co. Ltd. (Mumbai, India)
- Kettles-Roy & Tysons Ltd. (Kenya)
- Latiff Supplies Ltd. (Kuwait)
- Nicholas Radovich (Greece)
- Paterson Simons & Co. Ltd. (Malaysia and Singapore)
- Ramos & Ramos (Madeira)
- Russel Searle Ltd. (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Rivzi Ltd. (Chittagong, Pakistan)
- S. Davson & Co. Ltd. (Guinea)
- Solorzano Villa Pereira Co. Ltda. (Nicaragua)
- Stephen Lynch & Co. Ltd. (Baghdad, Iraq)
- Suney S.A. (Uruguay)
- The Lynch Co. Ltd. (Iran)
- The Oriental Machinery Stores (Thailand)
- Main article: List of notable Marryat & Scott elevator installations
- Marryat & Scott also had another divisions located in Kenya, Uganda, and some parts of Africa since 50 years ago. They are now operated by Kone.
- Marryat & Scott was also a distributor of Thyssen escalators in both United Kingdom and Hong Kong in 1970s-1980s.