|Marryat & Scott Lifts Ltd.|
A modified Thyssen logo installed on a Thyssen escalator (installed by Marryat & Scott) in England.
Joseph Richmond, Howard Marryat, Murray Scott
Hounslow, Middlesex, England
Marryat & Scott was a British elevator/lift manufacturer from Hounslow, Middlesex, England. It was acquired by Kone in 1979.
Marryat & Scott was founded by Joseph Richmond in 1891. At that time, he established a small hydraulic elevator company called Richmond Lifts. In the 1900s, Howard Marryat took over Richmond Lifts and began making traction elevators. In the 1920s, Murray Scott joined the company and Richmond Lifts was renamed to Marryat & Scott.
In the mid 1970s, Marryat & Scott developed an elevator control system called CMC-1200, which was said to be the first computerized group supervisory elevator control system in the world.
The company finally came to an end when Kone bought the company in 1979. It later became Kone Marryat Scott for a short period before it changed name to simply Kone in the early or mid 1980s. In addition, their operating businesses in Hong Kong and Singapore were taken over by Kone.
Also in 1979, a company named "ALS" (Associated Lift Services) was formed by former employees of Marryat & Scott who did not want to work for Kone when Marryat & Scott was acquired.
Marryat & Scott had its head office and manufacturing plant in Wellington Works, Hounslow, Middlesex, England. It also had branches located in Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee) and Ireland (Dublin and Cork). Other branches within England were located in London (40 Hatton Garden), Birmingham, Bristol, Guernsey, Brighton, and Liverpool. Their operating business in Scotland was known as John Bennie Ltd.
Overseas, Marryat & Scott had many foreign distributors or third-party agents located in several countries. These includes India, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Africa, Canada, etc.
List of known overseas Marryat & Scott distributors:
- A & G Price Ltd. (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Alpin Elevators Co. Ltd. (Quebec, Canada)
- Anglo-Electromatic Elevators Ltd. (Ontario, Canada)
- Breyner & Wirth Ltd. (Mozambique)
- Burma Independance Co., Ltd. (Myanmar)
- Central Foundry Ltd. (Barbados)
- Colombo Commercial Co. Ltd. (Sri Lanka)
- Davie Boag & Co. Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Davidson-Arnott & Co. Ltd. (Trinidad)
- Electro-Mechanical Equipment Co. (Malta)
- Electro-Trading Co. (Iceland)
- Eletrex Co. (Egypt)
- Ellison's Electrical Engineers Ltd. (Southern Rhodesia)
- Evans, Barnes & Fitz (Pty.) Ltd. (South Africa)
- F & C. Osler Ltd. (India and Pakistan)
- Grey MacKenzie & Co. Ltd. (Busreh, Iraq)
- Isaac M. Sarfaty & Son Ltd. (Israel)
- John Fleming & Co. Ltd. (Mumbai, India)
- Kettles-Roy & Tysons Ltd. (Kenya)
- Latiff Supplies Ltd. (Kuwait)
- Nicholas Radovich (Greece)
- Paterson Simons & Co. Ltd. (Malaysia and Singapore)
- Ramos & Ramos (Madeira)
- Russel Searle Ltd. (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Rivzi Ltd. (Chittagong, Pakistan)
- S. Davson & Co. Ltd. (Guinea)
- Solorzano Villa Pereira Co. Ltda. (Nicaragua)
- Stephen Lynch & Co. Ltd. (Baghdad, Iraq)
- Suney S.A. (Uruguay)
- The Lynch Co. Ltd. (Iran)
- The Oriental Machinery Stores (Thailand)
- Main article: List of notable Marryat & Scott elevator installations
- Marryat & Scott was also a distributor of Thyssen escalators in both United Kingdom and Hong Kong in the 1970s-1980s.
- In the early 1970s, Marryat & Scott supplied elevators for several flats in Singapore built by the Housing and Development Board (HDB). These elevators were assembled and installed by a local firm, General Engineering and Trading and the brand names are not displayed in the elevator cars.