|Constructions industrielles de la Méditerranée S.A.|
1856 (La Seyne, France)
La Seyne, France
CNIM (French: Constructions industrielles de la Méditerranée S.A., formerly Constructions navales et industrielles de la Méditerranée) is a French engineering company founded in 1856. The company is also a manufacturer of escalators and moving walks since 1968 primarily for metros and airports, including elevators since 2009 but not very often compared to their escalators and moving walks productions.
Today, their escalators are manufactured in China by their Chinese subsidiary CTE. Maintenance activities of their escalators for other countries have stopped since 2009 except China and Singapore.
CNIM started out in 1856 as Société Nouvelle des Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée (FCM), a shipbuilding company founded in La-Seyne-sur-Mer in France. In 1966, FCM was taken over by the Herlicq Group and was renamed to CNIM. Two years later, they began making escalators for the Paris metro networks.
In 1982, CNIM was contracted to supply escalators for the Hong Kong MTR network until 1998.
In 2009, their escalator maintenance for other countries was sold except China and Singapore. However, CNIM continues to make escalators.
- Confluence Mall, Lyon, France
- Lyon St Exupery Airport (Terminal 1, 2 and 3), Lyon, France
- Beijing Subway, Beijing (1996)
- Paris Metro, Paris (since 1968)
- Most escalators in MTR Tsuen Wan Line, Island Line, Tung Chung Line, West Rail Line
- Some escalators in MTR East Rail Line and Kwun Tong Line
- Queen Mary Hospital
- Central Mid-Levels Escalators (1993)
- Hong Kong International Airport (1998)
- Mass Rapid Transit (MRT):
- Downtown MRT Line (2012)
- Marina Bay MRT Station (Circle Line Extension) (2012)
- Jurong East MRT Station
- Orchard Road Pedestrian Underpass (in front of Tangs Plaza)
- Metro stations in Brussels, Belgium
- Metro stations in Montreal, Canada
- Of the two escalator maintenance facilities left (China and Singapore), Singapore is CNIM's largest maintenance facility, with only 38 employees servicing 202 units.
- Their elevator and escalator service operations in Canada has been taken over by Kone in 2011.
- In Hong Kong, CNIM escalators were maintained by CNIM Hong Kong since 1986. However, it was shut down in 2012 and the maintenance contract was passed over to Chevalier (the distributor of Toshiba elevators) or Kone.
Notes and references
- ↑ The longest outdoor escalator system in the world, Being replaced by Anlev Elex since 2018.
- ↑ Installed as part of Jurong East Modification Project in 2011.
- ↑ Kone acquires CNIM's elevator and escalatir service operations in Canada.